Did you realize that injury to your jaw joints can cause headache pain? If the tiny piece of cartilage in each jaw joint, or temporomandibular joint (TMJ) is damaged, the jaws may become misaligned. This misalignment may cause you to grind or clench or teeth, thus fatiguing your jaw muscles which is a common cause of headache pain.
Common symptoms of a temporomandibular disorders are:
TMJ clicking or popping
Ear pain and possible stuffiness
Neck and shoulder pain
Broken teeth or teeth sensitive to cold temperatures
A history of undiagnosed headache pain
Lateral picture of skull with a TMJ
Obstructive sleep apnea is snoring with quiet pauses in breathing ending in gasping, snoring or choking sounds. Have you or your spouse awakened suddenly in a panic, not being able to breathe? If this continues, the diagnosis may very well be obstructive sleep apnea. Apnea, or literally “want of breath,” is a serious, potentially life-threatening condition. Obstructive sleep apnea can contribute to or cause several very serious medical problems. The more serious are listed below:1.
Increased cholesterol levels
There are several types of treatment of sleeping disorders. Our office, working in conjunction with the sleep medicine physician, often recommends more than one type of therapy. Some of the types of treatment are:
1. A change in the diet. For example, reducing caffeine and eating a well-balanced meal may help significantly to reduce sleep disorders 2. Improvement in sleep hygiene (proper methods to prepare for sleep) 3. Continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP). This is the use of a small and quiet machine. The patient wears a small mask and this machine lightly forces air through a tube, through the mask and opens the airway so that normal sleep occurs and most importantly, sleep apnea is dramatically decreased or eliminated, which means that all those possible severe medical problems can be reduced as well. CPAP therapy has helped countless patients and is considered the gold standard of therapy for sleep apnea today. 4. Surgery. There are several types of surgery which may be recommended for obstructive sleep apnea. Unfortunately, these procedures are very painful and not generally successful long-term 5. Dental Appliances. These are intra-oral appliances used to gradually bring the lower jaw forward, along with the tongue, to maintain an open airway during sleep. These have proved to be the most effective type of treatment and are a really good option for those patients who either can't use or won't use the CPAP machine
We use waterlase to make the surgerical procedures virtually painless,safe precise,reduce the risk of cross contamination, more cost effective.
We offer routine oral surgical procedures, which include extractions, implant placement, biopsies and other minor surgical procedures. We also work with some very fine oral & maxillofacial surgeons and we would be pleased to make the proper referral if necessary.
Our office provides orthodontic therapy, which is the straightening or moving teeth to improve the appearance of the teeth and how they function to improve a patient's ability to comfortably chew. Orthodontic treatment may consist of using removable appliances, full or partial braces or even Invisible braces.
Although we may concentrate on providing orthodontic treatment for children, adults can also greatly benefit from the many available treatments for straightening and moving teeth.
Invisalign is the leader in clear bracket technology. We were early adopter of this system, and have many success with this. This technology is the ‘treatment of choice’ for over 90% of adults contemplating teeth straightening. The brackets are removed for eating and cleaning, and simply inserted following the meal. Each bracket is designed to be worn for 14 days, after which a new one with a minimal adjustment is inserted.
Conventional Wire and Bracket
More and more people realize the importance of properly spaced and aligned teeth. For this reason, 20% of Canadians have received or are presently receiving orthodontic care. Adolescents are more limited in their choices, as the clear removable brackets are most suitable for patients above 16 years of age.
Rapid Invisable Braces™
Dr. Boruah addresses each orthodontic case on its own merit. Hybrid treatment (involving a combination of straightening programs) is commonplace in our clinic, because we will never insist on one treatment program or another based on esthetics alone. Our goal is to allow the patient the straightest teeth possible, which frequently necessitates a combination of technology
Our office is proud to offer Surgical Implant services. We utilize several of the finer implant systems such as Euro. Not only do we perform the surgical procedures in our office, but we also place the appropriate restorations to give you a proper bite and an excellent smile.
Cosmetic / Restorative Dentistry
Our office strives to be on the cutting edge of all aspects of cosmetic dentistry. We provide Whitening, and under our supervision and safe conditions, you will obtain the finest whitening of your. There are many over-the-counter whitening options available; however, only under supervision by a dentist can you be assured that your teeth and soft tissues will be treated in the safest manner.
We also offer Enamel Shaping in which we gently and painlessly remove parts of the tooth enamel to improve the appearance of the tooth. Enamel shaping may be used to correct a very small chip.
Smile Design. We also can provide you with a custom Smile Design, which means that we have many different types of treatment to do whatever it may take to make your smile as beautiful as possible. We often use a combination of tooth-colored restorations along with implants and all types of crowns and even orthodontic therapy to give you a gorgeous smile.
1. Tooth color restorations - Tooth colored restorations or fillings are also referred to as composites, because they are composed of a complex molecular structure of a resin matrix and fillers.
2. Bleaching - A beautiful smile will enhance your life. New technology with laser is available to whiten your smile in just over an hour! Teeth whitening is a bleaching process that reverses most discolorations of enamel. The result is a dramatic white smile! There is no loss of natural tooth structure.
3.Crown & Bridge - Dental porcelain crowns and dental bridges are used in both cosmetic dentistry and restorative dentistry that the dentist will provide. Dental porcelain crowns can improve the function as well as the appearance of broken, cracked and damaged teeth. This keeps your mouth healthy by preventing food particles becoming trapped in stubborn corners of the tooth stopping further decay
4.Implant crown & bridge - For missing teeth, an implant retained crown or bridge could be perfect. Acting as the missing root portion of any teeth you have lost, dental implants will help your Naturally Beautiful Smiles dental bridge look and feel more secure.
5. Implant denture - A dental implant supported denture is also referred to as an "overdenture" that is attached directly to dental implants. Regular dentures that you're most familiar with simply rest on your gums. A dental implant supported denture is attached to implants and as a result fits more firmly in the mouth giving your more confidence in your smile. Dental implant supported dentures are easily removed but hold firm when in place. They can be placed with either traditional dental implants or mini dental implants. And while surgery is involved in either case, it is usually painless and a long lasting solution
6. Partial & Complete denture - If you have lost all or a portion of your teeth, dentures can help boost your confidence in eating and talking. The dentist will take measurements and molds of the patients mouth to create the dentures. Dentures are removable, and like teeth need the same proper care, brushing, flossing and regular dentist visits to remove plaque and food.
Treating young patients is important to us. We would like to train children and teenagers in proper oral hygiene techniques so they can enjoy a healthy and pain-free life. As with adults, we emphasize preventive dentistry for children. We also provide interceptive orthodontics, which when started at a young age, oftentimes saves a lot of treatment time and expense simply because we can take advantage of a child's growth as we carefully guide adult teeth into their proper positions.
Your child's first tooth will erupt between ages 6-12 months and the remainder of their 20 primary or "baby" teeth usually erupt by age 3. During this time, gums may feel tender and sore, causing your child to feel irritable. To help alleviate this discomfort, we recommend that you soothe the gums by rubbing a clean finger or a cool, wet cloth across them. You may also choose to make use of a teething ring. Teething will not cause fevers. If your baby develops a fever or diarrhea while teething, treat it appropriately as you would at any other time. Always contact your family physician if you are concerned.
Your child's primary teeth will shed at various times throughout childhood, and their permanent teeth begin erupting at age 6 and continue until approx. age 21. Adults have 28 permanent teeth, or 32 including wisdom teeth.